Re: dpkg-reconfigure broken

Martin-Éric Racine said:
> Every time I try to dpkg-reconfigure anything, lately, I no longer get any
> configuration dialog, even if I purposely request -plow. Same thing when
> installing new packages; no dialog. What could cause this and how do I fix it?
>
> Thanks!

Sounds like your debconf frontend is broken.  Try this:

  dpkg-reconfigure --frontend=text debconf

Use that to change debconf's default frontend to 'text' and then things
should work.  If they do, try reconfiguring debconf again to use the
'dialog' frontend.  If that works, great; if not, then it's broken so go
back to text, upgrade debconf if possible, check the debconf buglist to
see if anyone else has had the same problem, etc.

Andrew.

--
Andrew Shugg <andrew@neep.com.au>                   http://www.neep.com.au/

"Just remember, Mr Fawlty, there's always someone worse off than yourself."
"Is there?  Well I'd like to meet him.  I could do with a good laugh."