Re: Failure installing to L2000

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 08:33:01PM -0800, Mike Shapp wrote:
> I'm trying (for the fourth time) to install Debian 3.0 to an HP L2000
> with no luck. It works until it gets to "Install Base Files" and fails
> with the message "Failure while configuring required packages" and
> then "debootstrap exited with an error (return value 1)". I'm using
> CD's as I don't have an internet connection.

I just want to point out we tested Debian 3.0 install with A500
and the L2000 is basically a variant of the A500 (same chipset,
some changes to firmware and different motherboard/IO).

> I'm installing from CD onto one of the internal 9G drives
> (0/0/2/0.0.0). My partition setup is:
>
> sda1, Linux/PA-RISC, boot, Primary, 24MB
> sda2, ext2, Primary, Mounted on /boot, 75MB
> sda3, swap, Primary, 800MB
> sda5, ext2, Logical, Mounted on /, 8205MB

I've changed my mind and concluded this is a better layout for disks < 18GB.
Consider making sda5 an ext3 file system for disks >= ~4GB.

> Here's the /var/log/messages file:
> Nov 20 18:49:31 (none) user.info dbootstrap[55]: running
> '/usr/sbin/debootstrap --boot-floppies --arch hppa woody /target
> file:/instmnt'
> Nov 20 18:51:50 (none) user.err dbootstrap[55]: Failure while
> configuring required packages.

hrm...that's not too helpful unfortunately. Would really need to
know which package failed. Can you try "dpkg --configure --pending"
from the "Execute a shell" menu?

My hope is we'll get exact output of what failed.

Another approach is to use a "sarge" based install CD.
Has anyone tried to build HPPA install ISO's for "sarge" release?

If someone points me at something "close", I could try to build
a "sarge" snapshot install ISO.

thanks,
grant