Re: How could HP help Debian

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 09:54, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 01:06:13AM -0400, Grzegorz B. Prokopski wrote:
> > > Emulating them in software with light-weight kernel syscalls.
> > > Currently being worked on for the express purpose of helping
> > > tausq fix Java :)
> > Ah, - "Jave Everywhere", I see.
> >
> > So - where can I take a look at the code this "software emulation"
> > of cmp&xchg (especially that you mentioned "kernel syscalls" which
> > smells like a different idea of emulation than the simplest I had)?
>
> In development tree on my test system? It's still quite alpha, and I'm
> not done writing the locking bits. I currently have a lot of 'glibc
> 2.3.2' material to fix first.
> Would you like to continue the work?
My objective is to get SableVM working on HPPA.
I've just seen
http://lists.debian.org/debian-hppa/2002/debian-hppa-200208/msg00132.html
which unfortunately ends w/o any conclusions (again).

So as I originally said - I'd be glad to "take a look" at the code of
your cmp&xchg instruction emulation because I belive it may be better
that what I was thinking about.

You made me curious and I want to find the best solution for SableVM
on HPPA. So maybe you could just attach the most relevant files with
your (maybe incomplete, partial) implementation and sent me off the
list?

I also have another question, more general, may be to the whole list:
do you currently have *any* JVM working on HPPA? I've seen thread about
kaffe working, but look at ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/k/kaffe
shows that it's not the case. [*]

Cheers,

					Grzegorz B. Prokopski

[*] Or maybe look at kaffe sources for hppa implementation of atomic
operations would be interesting? huh ;-)

--
Grzegorz B. Prokopski <gadek@debian.org>
Debian GNU/Linux http://www.debian.org