Re: How could HP help Debian

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 00:47, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 03:45:46AM +0100, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> > > PS: [*] And somebody tell me how to do atomic cmp&swap on HPPA - then
> > > you have a working SableVM JVM on HPPA in 10 minutes. Seriously.
> >
> > You can't.  hppa's only got one atomic instruction -- load-and-zero word.
> > If you can use that as a locking primitive, ie lock read and write
> > sides, then you're fine.  If you can live with atomic assignment, you're
> > also fine.  But if you rely on something like cmpxchg() as a locking
> > primitive, you're in trouble.
> Emulating them in software with light-weight kernel syscalls.
> Currently being worked on for the express purpose of helping
> tausq fix Java :)
Ah, - "Jave Everywhere", I see.

So - where can I take a look at the code this "software emulation"
of cmp&xchg (especially that you mentioned "kernel syscalls" which
smells like a different idea of emulation than the simplest I had)?

				Grzegorz B. Prokopski
--
Grzegorz B. Prokopski <gadek@debian.org>
Debian GNU/Linux http://www.debian.org