Re: 712/60 question

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 05:51:01PM -0400, Larry Crouch wrote:
> Anyway, I have a Windows 2000 Pro computer running haneWIN DHCP server
> 2.0.1.
> I downloaded the lifimage that I believe is appropriate. (The HP boxes have
> no floppies or CD roms).
> The DHCP server points to the lifimage.
>
> On the HP doing a search at the boot_admin screen finds the DHCP server *IF*
> I remove all the DHCP options including the lifimage file. I thought these
> options (like gateway) were required.
>
> Can someone steer me in the right direction to get Linux installed on one of
> these HP boxes?

These boxes don't actually do DHCP, they do BOOTP.  Bootp is very similar
to dhcp (it wouldn't be entirely wrong to think of them as versions 1
and 2 of the same protocol).  Many DHCP daemons will also serve bootp
clients as long as you don't include any dhcp options (or they'll switch
into DHCP-only mode).

I'm not sure how much help it'll be, but here's the dhcpd.conf I use for
booting my 712:

option domain-name "int.wil.cx";
option domain-name-servers kermit.int.wil.cx;

option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
default-lease-time 60000;
max-lease-time 60000;

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
        option routers 192.168.1.1;
}

host zoot {