RE: Trouble trying to start gdm - (follow up to help configuring an HIL mouse on an HP 715)

(snip).............................................

> The closest I got was using vmlinux-2.4.19-32 and an XF86Config-4 file
with keyboard and mouse settings very similar to those at > the
ftp://ftp.parisc-linux.org/kernels/712/XF86Config-4.Hildebrandt page, except
I did not have the lines - since my keyboard is > not German:
> 	Option		"XkbLayout"	"de" and
> 	Option		"XkbVariant"	"nodeadkeys"
> Under these conditions, my keyboard worked sometimes correctly (but
intermittently): i.e. sometimes - after rebooting - I would  > find that I
could type correct characters at the GDM prompt, and I could even login
correctly into the GDM desktop but, I could
> never get the mouse to work at all, so the GUI was essentially useless.
So I could only get out of that situation by telneting  > into the HP715
Linux OS, from another machine, in order to control it or reboot it.  Most
often, though, with the same kernel
> and XF86Config-4 file, the keyboard (and mouse) would not work at all when
the machine displayed the GDM prompt.  (Notice that
> this is quite different from the original problem I had with the
vmlinux-2.4.17-32 kernel - in that case, the keyboard always
> worked, predictably, but generated wrong characters for every key).

I forgot to mention a possible clue in my previous message: whenever the
keyboard worked OK at the GDM prompt, if I killed the main gdm process
(either before or after logging in to gdm) - by telneting to the HP715 from
another machine - the keyboard continued working properly and I could log-in
and operate the machine from the command prompt of HP715 system console.
But, if I did the same thing when the keyboard did not work at the GDM
prompt, the keyboard would still not function even after killing the main
gdm process.

I am not sure what to make out of this, but that's what happened.

Best regards,

Jaime