Install questions on c180

hi....

after picking up a c180 on eBay i would like to install debian on this
machine this weekend. i have been digging thru FAQs as i find them and i
have a couple of questions i have not found the answers to yet.

1. my firmware is 5.0. i see there is a 6.1 and i am wondering if the
upgrade would be worth the time. i subscribe to the idea that if not
necessary don't upgrade the firmware in any box. also.. the install
instructions mention *tape*. is this a literal tape drive? can i use a
cdrom or floppy?

2. my graphics adapter is an A4070-26504 Rev B with Z buffer (A4242-6601
Rev A) is this supported? can anyone point me in the direction of info
on this card? i tried partsurfer and a google search but no info came
up.

3. when i boot the cdrom i elected to use the IPL and had an option to
edit the boot command line. i could not get the console changed to
either the graphics (0) or graphics (3) instead of the tty0. am i asking
for too much here? i am assuming that it defaults to the serial port.

thanks for any info
jeff duncan