Re: Apollo 735/99 with X? (also 735/125)

i've *just* got a 735/125 working and X works fine... get the XF86Config-4
file from the hppa-linux site (link through FAQ). In fact it turns out i have
a 32 bit (24) graphics option so it looks pretty good. I couldnt find much in
the way of specific info on the 735 but after a bit of trial and error i
realised that it definitely requires the rboot protocol and *not* bootp. once
i'd figured that it booted up no problem. dont configure the keyboard during
install tho! skip to the next stage.

other points i can think of atm... dont install xdm (locked up my computer
hard). also once i compiled a kernel with frame buffer (must do this to get X
working anyway) the console screen didnt scroll during boot up so after the
screen filled the rest of the screen output appeared on one line at the top.
once i am logged in a simple 'reset' command sorts this also switching to
other virtual consoles is fine. (this may be due to a missed config in the
compile altho i used default settings). also screenblank seems a bit primitive
in that output still appears on the blanked screen...

of course none of this may be relevant to you, i dont know how similar the 735
models are. this is my first foray into hppa territory. congratulations on the
debian port - quite painless really. looking forward to playing some more with
this machine...

GREG