Re: upgrading libc6 from 2.2.5-14.3 to 2.3.1-5 fails on 712

> Then why doesn't the package itself depend on that kernel?  If it did, apt
> would have prevented the upgrade from ever being attempted at all...

because anyone can compile a kernel themselves and install it, and dpkg
only knows about debian packages.

there might be a better way to check for this by using a preinst check.
Carlos, can you take a look at this? I think sparc already a similar
check.

> I already did, a while back.  See the thread when I asked about 712-specific
> hardware and was told not to bother compiling any 2.4.18 kernel anymore.

2.4.18? i thought we were talking about 2.4.19....

yes, you should not use 2.4.18 anymore. The 2.4.19-rc1 kernels are not
particularly stable yet, but the pre-rc ones (e.g. the ones that are in
the debian archive is 2.4.19-pa22) should be ok.

randolph