Re: upgrading libc6 from 2.2.5-14.3 to 2.3.1-5 fails on 712

> > Please upgrade to 2.4.19 :)
>
> Forget it.  2.4.19 dies within 5 minutes of uptime, on any architecture I have.
>
> Anyhow, your sarcastic answer doesn't explain why even rebooting fails; the
> kernel reports it is too old and that it tired to kill init.

eh? how is this a "sarcastic answer"? it is a statement of fact, the
latest glibc depends on having a 2.4.19 kernel.

It is an unfortunate fact that failed glibc upgrades are often not easy
to recover from, since most anything on the system depend on it. Your
best bet probably is to try to boot a 2.4.19 kernel if you can. Or, you
may have some success booting into sash and running dpkg manually to
downgrade glibc.

as for 2.4.19 dying within 5 minutes of uptime, it would be helpful if
you reported the symptoms to the parisc-linux list. "Forget it" will
not help anybody. There're some guidelines on what info to provide at
http://www.parisc-linux.org/faq/kernelbug-howto.html

randolph
--
Randolph Chung
Debian GNU/Linux Developer, hppa/ia64 ports