external DVD & tape drive

I have an external SCSI tape and another external dvd drive.  I really have no
clue as to how to mount them.  I only know that if I cat /proc/scsi/scsi I
can see the DVD drive (but not the tape drive even though st.o is insmod'ed).
Could someone point me twords a good howto for tape backups?

Thanks,
Aidan
--
Watch enough Coke ads and you might start believeing "Coke is life" instead of
being caffiene, sugar and carbon dioxide - all poisons.