afio under Debian HPPA

Hi,

I am running a D370 with Debian 3.0 and the 2.4.18 kernel from Debian
stable.
I have a HP Dat 24i DDS-3 SCSI-2 tape drive hanging off the internal SE SCSI
bus as /dev/nst0
in parallel with the SCSI CDROM.

Now when I run my favorite backup scrip TOB from the Debian stable deb. It
will write
archives but when I try to read them they produce errors.

As I have configured Tob to use afio. I tried writing a simple tar archive
to nst0 and it could write and read OK.
when I tried afio

find /home | afio -o -v /dev/nst0

it wrote OK but when I read it using

afio -t /dev/nst0

it produced

Titan1:~# afio -t /dev/nst0
home/fred
home/fred/.bashrc
afio: "/dev/nst0" [offset 184]: Bad magic number
afio: "home/fred/.bashrc": May be corrupt
afio: "/dev/nst0" [offset 404]: Apparently resynchronized
afio: "home/fred/.bash_history": Continuing
home/fred/.bash_history
afio: "/dev/nst0" [offset 410]: Bad magic number
afio: "home/fred/.bash_history": May be corrupt
afio: "/dev/nst0" [offset 750]: Apparently resynchronized
afio: "home/fred/DC290_04": Continuing

... and so it continues

Has any one else had experience with SCSI tape drives under HP 9000 with
Debian and does it work for you,
in particular anyone else tried to use afio ?

I could switch to tar but I like afio because it recovers from tape errors
better.

Thanks in advance,

Steve Grady
Sydney