Re: Recovery from bad kernel

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 09:08:45AM +0100, Aidan Delaney wrote:
> Interacting with IPL worked perfectly and the system was recovered in an
> astounding 5 minutes.  My system is a 9000 A-class 180C and what I was trying
> to do is reduce the kernel size from the stock 3.5MB.  The kernel I compiled
> was 2.5MB and that was obviously missing drivers.  My desktop IDE box kernel
> is 762K.  Is a large kernel just a fact of life when dealing with SCSI
> devices or am I just not familiar enough with the hardware yet?  This server
> is to be used (by a colleague) as a server for a distributed computing
> application on a LAN, so these kind of optimisations may help my colleague
> obtaining results quicker.

PA-RISC is a less compact instruction set than x86, so it'll always
be bigger.  Also, the SCSI layer is bigger than the IDE layer.  And the
x86 kernel is gzipped and I don't think we ever bothered gzipping the
PA kernel.  Having said that, of course you can chop out the drivers you
don't need -- eg you only need the Tulip driver, and not the Lasi_82596
driver.