Re: Recovery from bad kernel

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Aidan Delaney wrote:

> My system is a 9000 A-class 180C and what I was trying to do is reduce the
> kernel size from the stock 3.5MB.  The kernel I compiled was 2.5MB and that
> was obviously missing drivers. Is a large kernel just a fact of life when
> dealing with SCSI devices or am I just not familiar enough with the hardware
> yet? My desktop IDE box kernel is 762K.

If your experience matches mine, you are not familiar enough with the hardware.

Here, I have a 9000/712/60 (a fairly common low-end PA-RISC box).

Figuring out exactly what goes into one of those took me quite a lot of useless
RTFM sessions, but was ultimately resolved by posting to the parisc-kernel list
and reading the few helpfull replies I got there.

As a result, I have my own kernel-image-2.4.18-hppa-712 and, given how many of
those were sold, I'm guessing that such a kernel could be appreciated by anyone
taking the Debian plunge on one of these babies so, unless others objects, I'd
gladly submit this kernel as my first package to the Debian project.

As for a kernel-image-2.4.19-hppa-712, no thanks - using the exact same config
results in a kernel that does hara-kiri within 5 minutes of bootup, so further
research is required.

--
Martin-Éric Racine, Espoo, Finland.
"Kas sa tahad mind? - Nej!!! Är du en idiot?!!"