Re: Kernel 2.4.19-pa6 - can't login.

Close, I am not seeing it time out to another login prompt, it just hangs.

My top display also stops running. Also, on a reboot it won't come back to
the prompt, it will freeze after it loads up HIL. The last lines I get are:

Ext3-fs: INFO: recover required on readonly filesystem.
Ext3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery.
HIL KEYB: HIL keyboard found (did = 0xdf, lang = english.us)
input0: HIL keyboard on hil0
kenrel BUG at slab.c:1130!
HIL PTR: HIL pointer device found (did: 0x68, axis: relative)
HIL PTR: HIL pointer has 3 buttons and 1 sets of 2 axes
input1: HIL mouse on hil0

In order to get past this I boot into a earlier kernel, and boot back.  I
am wondering if it has something to do with the EXT3 recovery. One thing I
notice on booting the old kernel is :

 kernel: EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly
filesystem.
 kernel: EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during
recovery.
 kernel: kjournald starting.  Commit interval 5 seconds
 kernel: EXT3-fs: recovery complete.
 kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data
mode.
 kernel: VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly.
 kernel: Freeing unused kernel memory: 384k freed
 kernel: Adding Swap: 125236k swap-space (priority -1)
 kernel: EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.17, 10 Jan 2002 on sd(8,19), internal journal Aug
30 09:58:46 x5 kernel: mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
Aug 30 09:58:46 x5 kernel: eth0: link ok.

There is no message for kjournald on the newer kernel, on an unclean
reboot.  now do I get the message for a clean reboot.

Thanks for looking into this...

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 11:22:06AM -0400, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> > Last working kernel was 2.4.18-32, that came witht he debian install. I
> > have no problem with that one. I can load into if fine, the new one has the
> > HIL support that I want. The only thing I really notice is that there
> > is a line with "kernel BUG at slab.c:1130!"
> >

> I seem to see the following problem on a C3K after building a new
> 32-bit kernel. It's quite odd... I'll investigate this on Saturday.
>
> login: xxxx
> ... wait forever ...
> <login times out after 60 seconds>
> login: