hp735 HD problems w/ debian pa-risc linux

Good morning - I have inherited a complete hp 735
(Apollo) workstation, that I know functions with hpux.
It contained 2 each 1/2 gig scsi hd's. These I
replaced with 2 gig hd's. There is of course no
operating system on these. I downloaded the PA-RISC
debian linux iso (0.9.3), and burned it to CD on a
windows box. This iso boots from the external cdrom
fine on the workstation. The problem is this: the
initial boot ROM prompts say that the HD's exist and
have appropriate scsi ID's. But Debian claims that
there are NO HD's present in the machine at all to
partition.  So next I reinstalled the old hard drives
(2 drives, about a 1/2 gig each). They have HP-UX 9.03
on them. These drives booted HPUX perfectly! I have
user and root access and can muck about in VUE as much
as I want (SAM is flakey, however). But, when I
attempt to boot from the external CDROM, the debian
PA-RISC linux again will not acknowledge these disks
(the CDROM works fine, btw). Debian claims they do not
even exist, despite the fact that I am running 9.03
off them. Any ideas what is going on? I really want to
get this machine 2K compliant, and 9.03 doesn't do it!
 My question #1) Any idea why the boot ROM (PALO) can
see them but linux cannot? Question #2) why are the 2
gig scsi drives also invisible?  Thanks all.

- elmar schmeisser <chagin1@yahoo.com>