Re: X driver and configuration on HP9000/710

Great infos: I will surely use them!!!!
Thanx
ste

8-§  > Kernel binaries at that site work well for me on both boxes.
8-§  >
8-§  > Random notes from X discoveries:
8-§  >
8-§  > 1. If you use -pa55, define your keyboard to X as xfree86 not hp.  There
8-§  > has been a recent change in the kernel keyboard driver that is not
8-§  > reflected in older mailing list messages about configuring a keyboard
8-§  > for X.
8-§  >
8-§  > 2. Use a serial mouse; HIL mouse not supported yet.  I use a 2-button
8-§  > microsoft mouse.  I have had trouble having the gpm driver active during
8-§  > X sessions on the 720 (but not on a 735).  gpm has little value to me
8-§  > anyway so I deinstalled it on the 720 (it may be in the default install
8-§  > from ISO).
8-§  >
8-§  > 3. The extended-char key is equivalent to an Alt key on a PC.
8-§  > control-extended-backspace kills the X server.  control-extended-f2 gets
8-§  > back to a text console from X, control-extended-f7 resumes X.
8-§  >
8-§  > 4. The X video device driver to use is "fbdev".
8-§  >
8-§  > 5. If you have a 24-bit framebuffer that doesn't work try setting
8-§  > DefaultFbBpp to 32 and DefaultDepth to 24.
8-§  >
8-§  > 6. The fbset utility (apt-get install fbset) is helpful to check the
8-§  > actual video mode of a text console in framebuffer mode, but I can't get
8-§  > it to change resolutions on crx or crx24.
8-§  >
8-§  > 7. The kernel has some support to change depths on cards that have more
8-§  > than one.  Kernel boot parameter:
8-§  >
8-§  >    video=stifb:bpp:8
8-§  >
8-§  >    video=stifb:bpp:32
8-§  >
8-§  > -- SP
8-§  >
8-§  >
8-§  > --
8-§  > To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-hppa-request@lists.debian.org
8-§  >

--
<<Unix IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are!>>