Re: X driver and configuration on HP9000/710

On Wed, 2002-07-17 at 17:28, webmaster@linuxabbestia.net wrote:
> On 17 Jul 2002 17:21:51 -0400 Steve Pacenka <s.pacenka@verizon.net> wrote: 8-§  > ftp://ftp.parisc-linux.org/kernels/32/
> yeah I'm going to download it and compile. I will be back as soon as I can with a feed back. Thankx again
> Ste@linuxabbestia.net

Kernel binaries at that site work well for me on both boxes.

Random notes from X discoveries:

1. If you use -pa55, define your keyboard to X as xfree86 not hp.  There
has been a recent change in the kernel keyboard driver that is not
reflected in older mailing list messages about configuring a keyboard
for X.

2. Use a serial mouse; HIL mouse not supported yet.  I use a 2-button
microsoft mouse.  I have had trouble having the gpm driver active during
X sessions on the 720 (but not on a 735).  gpm has little value to me
anyway so I deinstalled it on the 720 (it may be in the default install
from ISO).

3. The extended-char key is equivalent to an Alt key on a PC.
control-extended-backspace kills the X server.  control-extended-f2 gets
back to a text console from X, control-extended-f7 resumes X.

4. The X video device driver to use is "fbdev".

5. If you have a 24-bit framebuffer that doesn't work try setting
DefaultFbBpp to 32 and DefaultDepth to 24.

6. The fbset utility (apt-get install fbset) is helpful to check the
actual video mode of a text console in framebuffer mode, but I can't get
it to change resolutions on crx or crx24.

7. The kernel has some support to change depths on cards that have more
than one.  Kernel boot parameter:

   video=stifb:bpp:8

   video=stifb:bpp:32

-- SP