Re: compiling kernel

Quoth Martin-Éric Racine:
> On Tue, 28 May 2002, Gianpiero Fasulo wrote:
> > can anyone tell me how can find the source for compiling the kernel i had
> > installed on my HPL9000? I had installed the kernel 2.4.9-64 on pa-risc 64
> > bit processor! Best regards Gianpiero Fasulo
>
> apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.9-hppa
>
> However, I doubt that 2.4.9 is still available.  Try replacing the version
> number with 2.4.17 or 2.4.18, in the above example, and see if it helps.

A good suggestion.  However if kernel-image-2.4.9 is still an
installable target for hppa, the corresponding kernel-source-2.4.9
should be as well.

Gianpiero, try this command to look for available source packages:

  apt-cache search kernel-source

This will show you the packages that provide the 'kernel-source' virtual
package; I can see kernel-source-2.4.17-hppa and kernel-source-2.4.18-hppa
there now, but you might be able to find 2.4.9 somewhere.

If you are interested in better support for your hardware, and a more
featureful kernel, installing 2.4.17 or 2.4.18 would be recommended.  You
can keep 2.4.9 around to fall back on in case you run into problems.

Andrew.

--
Andrew Shugg <andrew@neep.com.au>                   http://www.neep.com.au/

"Just remember, Mr Fawlty, there's always someone worse off than yourself."
"Is there?  Well I'd like to meet him.  I could do with a good laugh."