Re: Crashdumps, was Re: ogg123 anybody?

On Monday 06 May 2002 02:41 am, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 01:14:39PM +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> > On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 04:01:31PM +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> > > Anybody got ogg123 (package vorbis-tools) working?
> > >
> > > Mine produces no sound whatsoever, a strace shows that the thing just
> > > plain stops (see debian bugreport done by me).
> > >
> > > I can play sound by piping some files to /dev/audio.
> >
> > I investigated further and tried to play an mpg file using mpg123.
> > My system came to a grinding halt with a "kernel fault", prior to that
> > it tried to ump the stack. Gotta try this again now...
>
> And the same crash happens with mpg321 as well. Is there any way for
> me to find out what the problem is? If I just let the box play the
> mp3 file, it works and mpg123 / 321 exit gracefully. If I actually
> work (change consoles, run top etc.) then I can be sure that it
> freezes the kernel.
>
> Is there a way to get a crashdump?

I am running on a 735/99. I had the same problem with mpg123. I decided to
update the kernel from CVS about three days ago and have not had the problem
since.

 I also have a 712/100. Software which works fine on the 712 plain old
doesn't work on the 735. Ghostscript is one example. It runs fine on the 712
and just hangs forever on the 735. I don't play mp3s on the 712.

The kernel on the 712 is the latest from an apt-get, the kernel on the 735 is
updated from CVS about once a week.