Re: 735/125 serial console problems

Richard Hirst wrote:

> On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 06:19:34PM -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:
> > Alas, it didn't work. Actually, it did get minicom to the same level as
> > screen... now I'm getting the same thing in both. Here's cut&paste from
> > my xterminal to show what I'm getting.
> >
> > pyright.t-Packary.  1992.
> > OM rev. C ROM re400 MB o configutested.
> >
> > ing a syboot.
> > selectio and holCAPE keyection process s
> >                                         ing for l Boot D
> >                                                         To termarch, press and e
> > ------------------------------------------                EAGATE S
> >                                                                       Bootecifis
> > xit and continue boot se?)    Helect fro
> >
> > That's what I'm seeing (80 chars wide). Is this possibly due to a
> > non-null-modem cable? If so I can go buy an adapter. I'd rather not if I
> > already have a null-modem cable though.  Any other ideas? I got to the
> > BOOT_ADMIN> prompt and typed path console rs232_a.9600.8.none and then
> > restart, and it restarted, but didn't change anything.
>
> What are you running minicom on?  If it's a 386 using an old UART with no
> FIFO then I'd suggest it just couldn't cope with bursts of data at 9.6K.
> Not very likely though.  When you type things at the BOOT_ADMIN prompt
> is it all echoed back properly?

No, the UART is certainly not a problem at 9600 bit/s.

If the output really looks like you copied with characters missing, then
unfortunately there are multiple possibilities :
Something is wrong with cable - verify between known good computers, e.g. two PCs.
The serial ports do not use the same signalling scheme - SUNs e.g. can be set for
RS423 instead of RS232.
The signal levels are marginal (RS232 is -12 to -3 V for low, 3 to 12V for high,
IIRC) The serial port of a VAX does not want to talk to my C110 but with a PC.it
works. Go figure...

What machine are you using with minicom ? I have been setting up a 735/125 with a PC
without any problems. (Well no console problems at least... ;-)

    Christian