From: Andrew Shugg
To: 'debian-hppa@lists.debian.org'
Sent: 30/04/02 19:45
Subject: Re: Debian csh "no shell" at login

Quoth PINKERTON,PHIL (HP-Cupertino,ex1):
> I installed csh shell from apt-get install it installed ok however
when
> added to /etc/passwd as a user login shell the system responds with
"no
> shell"
>
> The reason to use this shell is that on our hp-ux box we use .cshrc
which
> needs
> /usr/bin/csh. I tried changing the /etc/passwd from /usr/bin/csh (
hp-ux )
> /bin/csh ( Debian linux ). Still "no shell" is the login response.

I think you've probably broken your passwd file when editing it by hand.
Restore the file (or just the root: line) from /var/backups/passwd.bak
if possible, then make your change using chsh(1) or vipw(8).

[Insert usual warnings regarding changing root's login shell.]

Andrew.

--
Andrew Shugg <andrew@neep.com.au>
http://www.neep.com.au/

"Just remember, Mr Fawlty, there's always someone worse off than
yourself."
"Is there?  Well I'd like to meet him.  I could do with a good laugh."