SMP instability?

I've got a J210 dual processor box. I did an initial install from the 0.9.3
ISO, then let apt-get upgrade everything to current. I then replaced the
kernel with 2.4.18-32. Now it seems that whenever I do an apt-get, the
system hangs solid.

Is the 2.4.18 which comes down from the archive as recent as the ones in the
FTP server? I'm going to boot back into the original kernel and try getting
the latest from the FTP server .. if that dosn't work I guess I'll get the
sources and build from CVS. Any other hints/clues/suggestions? Should I just
run single proc for now?

Thanks!