Continuing Installation Problems

To recap, I'm trying to install Debian Linux on an HP B132L with
128M Ram, a 2G scsi drive and a non-HP SCSI CDRom.

I downloaded palinux-0.9.3.iso, and burned it onto a CDRom.

I discovered the <TAB> to set monitor option, and now I can use a
monitor, keyboard and mouse with the system, instead of using a
serial port.

Boot the CDROM OK.

Partition the disk 1.9 G for /, 200 M for swap.  Mount OK.

I cannot install rescue.bin and drivers.tgz from the CDRom.  Selecting
the CDROM gives me a list of /dev/?, with 'no description available'
messages.

I can download these from the palinux-0.9.3.iso image by mounting
that on another linux system on my network.

This step seems to work ok.  (I don't get any error messages.)

I've tried installing the 'woody' and 'unsupported' kernel, etc
packages over the net.  This seems to be going OK, but I eventually
get a package error, and the installation stops.

I finally tried using the mounted ISO image and loading from
that across my internal network.  This seems to have run to completion
with no errors, but when I get to the 'make disk bootable', it tells
me that PALO can't run.  (I believe that I had the / partition
set as 'boot' when I did the partitioning.)

The error message is:

PALO wasn't able to install.  You can still remote boot and
point the root device to the installed system

Selecting the alternate (Reboot) from the menu caused the
system to hang with the leftmost (heartbeat) led blinking in a
dit-dit ... dit-dit ... pattern.

Power down, and reboot with
BO SESCSI.6.0     (The hard disk)
IPL error: bad LIF magic

BO SESCSI.4.0

Change root to /dev/sda1

It boots from the CDRom, and I'm back at the installation menu.

Any hints, or suggestions for where I should be reading instructions
will be gleefully accepted.

	Clif

---
... Tcl/Tk for Real Programmers - Academic Press Professional ...
.... http://www.cflynt.com  ............   clif@cflynt.com   ....
. In theory there is no difference between theory and practice  .