Re: getting a second disc set up as a bootable

Hello:

Thanks for the insights into the mysteries of "palo".  I attempted the
chroot suggestion, but ran into file access problems (unrelated to
palo).   I had to power down, reboot and try the disc copy once more
before attempting "palo" in a "jail".

Alas, the "find | grep | cpio" hung, and I had to hit the power button
once more, and upon reboot, the system hung when getting "syslogd" up
and running.  Probably this occurred as the file system became
corrupted upon power down, and "fsck" was unable to clear up the
errors (although this was not indicated at reboot time).

Do you think that the disc copy hangs due to contention on the SCSI
bus?  Note that a good filesystem and a "fsck" check was run before
attempting the copy.  If my suspicion is correct, then perhaps
introducing a delay of some sort in the "pipe chain" might fix the
problem.

What do you think?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Regards,

Dean
--
				Dean Provins
		dprovins@ucalgary.ca,  provinsd@telusplanet.net

Linux is a stimulating and productive alternative to other PC operating systems.