Re: Installing release 0.9.2 on a 720?

Hello,

Once you know how, it's not too hard. My setup:

1 HP Apollo 700 with 720/50 processor (AKA bob)
1 Micropolis 1.2 GB SCSI disk connected to bob
1 Pentium-166 with co-ax network card (server, AKA dogbert)

Then, do the following:

0. Seems you have the basic serial console set up, so there isn't much
to do here. The console goes black because there was (I think) a
"swapped serial ports" bug in 2.4.0.

1. Install debootstrap. Modify /usr/lib/debootstrap/scripts/woody to
create a nfsroot to boot your HP from. Basically just comment out any
commands it wants to run in the chroot environment. If you succeed, you
should have a nice root with debian-hppa on it (semi-working). Make sure
you get libc6 2.2.4-5.1 and libstdc++3 3.0.2-3. They should be on Debian
mirrors now, I think.

2. Setup /etc/exports on your server:

/tftpboot/bob           bob(rw,no_root_squash)

Also add entries to /etc/hosts on the server:

10.0.1.1        dogbert.localdomain     dogbert
10.0.1.2        bob.localdomain         bob

3. Install rbootd on your server. Add the following to /etc/rbootd.conf:

08:00:09:25:4b:e1       lifimage

where 08:00:09:25:4b:e1 is the address of the HP's network card (you can
get this from the BOOT_ADMIN menu).

4. Install bootpd on your server, and set up /etc/bootptab:

bob:\
        :hd=/tftpboot/bob:\
        :bf=vmlinux:\
        :ht=ether:\
        :ha=080009254be1:\
        :sm=255.255.255.0:\
        :hn:\
        :ip=10.0.1.2:\
        :vm=rfc1048:

5. Get xc-latest (cross compiler), palo-latest and linux-latest from
http://ftp.parisc-linux.org/pub/cvs.

6. Extract xc-latest and add the compile to your path. Extract palo and
compile it.

7. Extract linux-latest, do make mrproper && make menuconfig. Make sure
you enable the LASI SCSI driver:

CONFIG_SCSI_LASI700=y
CONFIG_53C700_MEM_MAPPED=y
CONFIG_53C700_LE_ON_BE=y
CONFIG_53C700_USE_CONSISTENT=y

Now modify the palo/Makefile and fix up the NFSROOT= line to point to
your server.

Now run make palo. If everything goes well, you should get a lifimage in
your palo directory in a short while. This is the lifimage you want to
boot.

8. Now fire up your HP, let it search for boot devices (it should see
the rbootd server). It then downloads the lifimage, boots it, discovers
its IP via BOOTP, and mounts the NFS share ro.

9. Now do:

mount -n -o 'remount,rw' /dev/root /
mount -t proc proc /proc

Now you should have a semi-working system. fdisk /dev/sda, make a 20 MB
"F0" partition (for palo), a ext2 partition, and some swap. mke2fs the
ext2 partition. Add the swap to /etc/fstab, and run /sbin/swapon -a.
Then mount /dev/sda2 /mnt.

That's about it. Now you can begin the task of running the original
woody debootstrap script by hand. It took me about an hour to walk
through it and get a working system on the partition. Make sure that you
fix up /etc/fstab, /etc/inittab (to turn on serial gettys), etc.

I left the start-stop-daemon as a copy of /bin/true for the moment; you
can replace it with the .REAL version later (check the woody script to
see what I mean).

10. Whoo! Now I created a new lifimage to boot /dev/sda2; you could also
try installing palo but I haven't played with this yet.

Reboot. Tada! I've been at this since the 15th of September, but it
works wonderfully now (barring a few problems with apt).

Anyway, feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Regards,

Albert