Re: CD boot failure

Hi Dean,

It would seem that the PDC ( Processor Dependant Code ) layer of your machine
is not reading the lif image that I guess should be on that CD.

PA-RISC machines have a modular approach to just about everything and booting
is no exception. When you switch the things on you get the PDC layer, This
does all sorts of checks ( loads of them on faster machines ). This will then
load the IPL ( Inital Program Loader ) this is also known as the ISL ( Inital
System Loader ) As far as I know there is no differance between the two. You
can interact with the IPL if you want to when loading HP-UX and I think MPE.
It can be useful at times. The IPL layer then loads the secondary boot loader.
This depends on your operating system. If you run HP-UX then it's called
( strangely enough ) hpux. This does the loading of the kernel.

I'm guessing at this stage but it looks very much like PALO replaces the IPL
layer and does the kernel loading itself. This is cheating from HP's point of
view but nevermind, it does work. The PDC layer will think whatever PALO
installed is an IPL and will have a go at loading it.

I have seen that init=-7 message a few times whilst installing HP-UX.
I think it means it can't find a lif image and is normaly followed by 6 or 7
lines of numbers.

What I recommend is as follows. You can mount that CD on a linux box
to check the filesystem is OK. Don't mount -o loop the iso image and assume
they are the same, they might not be. If it is ok try a sea ipl at the pdc
prompt on your HP machine. That will give you a list of everything with an
IPL ( and all DHCP servers on your network, most likely none. ) If your CD
isn't there then you don't have PALO / ISL or anything else that does that
job and it can't be booted. Try burning it again. Or if you have a network
try a network install.

Have Fun,

Stephen