Re: installation on a B132L+

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 09:34:35AM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> Firstly, editing files (eg /etc/apt/sources.list) with the vi installed
> by the base system (nvi?) seems to cause the kernel to panic without
> fail. Replacing it with vim resolves that. (Actually, I think I've seen
> this before on a different platform; maybe m68k.)

This is a known kernel bug, fixed in the 0.9.2 release.  It should be
mentioned in the release errata, but it isn't.

> I've also found that 'ps aux' seems to make the kernel panic too.
> Unfortunately I just did that and killed the box, which is at my
> work and now dead for the whole weekend.

Um, that's interesting; I don't think I've seen that one.  Thanks for
the report.

> I'm using the kernel that was installed by the installation process.
> I couldn't see any kernel-image packages for hppa in the archive..
> should I build a new kernel from source?

This is something various people (paul bame, richard, bdale) have been
working on.  They should turn up in the archive RSN, but by all means
try your own kernel from CVS.

> The B132L+ (133MHz, 192Mb RAM, 10Gb disk) seems quite fast and
> pleasant to work on. I haven't tried X yet though. I've been using
> the STI kernel and working at the console.

Thanks!