Install problem

Hi I am trying to install ver 0.9.2 onto a B132L, using the 'narrow' 32bit
serial console install. The CD boots ok, and the install process seems to be
ok except that I have noticed the following message in boot messages:-

The GSCtoPCI (Dino hrev 1) bus converter found may exhibit
data corruption.  See Service Note Numbers: A4190A-01, A4191A-01.
Systems shipped after Aug 20, 1997 will not exhibit this problem.
Models affected: C180, C160, C160L, B160L, and B132L workstations

Once the install is complete, and the system begins its configuration, I am
seeing the following characters being output to the screen when I begin to
provide a path to the CDROM, or passwords for 'root' and any other user: -

when theses characters are deleted the configuration continues. However when
I get to the logon, the system will not allow it

and it gives the following messages:-

Debian GNU/Linux testing/unstable palin ttyS0

palin login: root
Login incorrect

palin login: patrick
Login incorrect

palin login:

the only reason I can think of is because the passwords are becoming

Does any body have any suggestions?