Re: (debian-hppa)will the install cd work on a 712/100

On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 11:12:35AM +0000, Frank Mattes wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> first of all I'm new to this group,and I'm not a linux expert but
> have worked with linux in the past on 386 and sparc machines. I have
> a 712/100 with 198 Mbyte ram, 2 Gbyte HDw and I'm considering to move
> from hpux to pa-linux.
> I have mainly two questions:
> - Can I use the cd image found at
> http://parisc-linux.org/release-0.9/index.html to boot fthe machine
> and do a full install.

try to get the 0.9.2 iso, and be prepared (have a serial console and/or
tftp/netboot machine to hand). Also, reading the archives may help a lot
(particularly from the parisc-linux mailinglist, not this one) since
boot problems are often discussed. Check the archives ar
parisc-linux.org.

> - is X supported ?

With a current kernel, yes - not with the one on the 0.9.2 iso.

> - can I run hpux binaries under pa-linux. As far as I can remember, I
> read that pa-linux will support to run hpux binaries.

again, with a newer kernel, and then only limited, not all function
calls are available. This is also in the archives.

> Many thanks for your help in advance

Good luck,
Jurriaan
--