Re: hp 715/50

Peter Firmstone said:
> My spare scsi disk is 170mb and I have no ram (or monitor), I think
> these things came out with ecc dram.  Does anyone know whether this
> thing can take cheap pc ram and if so what type?

They certainly won't take cheap PC RAM ... Kingston make appropriate
memory for these systems,  Whoever sold/gave you the box with no RAM
wasn't doing you much of a favour.  Disk is far easier to come by than
memory ...

Have a look through the archives of this list and the parisc-linux list
at http://www.thepuffingroup.com/parisc/ ... there have been a couple of
postings about finding appropriate memory and also how to hook up a
monitor to the system.

> Looking forward to using this thing to do some debugging with gdb to
> assist with the effort.
>
> Are the binary's compiled with debugging symbols?
>
> Is it easy to set up a cross compiler?

Yeah.  You can download the ia32-hppa cross compiler off
ftp://puffin.external.hp.com/ ... have s stroll through the contents of
the site.  Can't remember off the top of my head exactly where the
pre-built cross compiler is living.  It is probably mentioned in this
list's archives too.

Andrew.

--
Andrew Shugg <andrew@neep.com.au>                http://www.neep.com.au/

  "Just remember Basil, there's always someone worse off than yourself."
  "Oh, really?  I'd like to meet him ... I could do with a good laugh."
                 [ Sybil and Basil Fawlty, "Fawlty Towers" ]