Re: Introducing myself to HPC Team (and Debian) -- Sponsor Required

Hi Mark,

On Tue, Apr 30, 2024 at 08:18:54PM -0700, Mark Ross wrote:
[...]
> I would require a sponsor for this or any other package under the HPC
> Team's care. So maybe Nilesh and others would prefer I work through
> that process under a less consequential package. (Maybe apptainer?[1])
> I have a *lot* of free time right now and a Proxmox cluster for
> building/testing, so please let me know how I can help get Debian onto
> more HPC systems. I haven't looked at the other team packages yet but I
> didn't know if any of you were able to sponsor and just wanted to say
> hello. (Does my sponsor have to be on the team if they are familiar
> with gbp and such?) I will look at Science/Astro teams if it's not
> feasible.

Sponsorship does not strictly require you to be a member of any team
(any DD can upload any package), but usually it's a good idea. In the
particular case of singulariy-container, Nilesh is quite active on it (3
uploads this year already) so it's probably best to work with him
indeed.

> My Salsa user is 'xericode'.

Generally, in Debian, people are given commit rights etc to repositories
only after they've shown to be active and capable to do the work.

I would recommend that you look at the package and see what can be done;
and that if you see some place where things could be improved, you try
to work on it and file merge requests against the git repository (or
send patches if Nilesh prefers that way; that works too).

That said,

If you are motivated to work on Debian, as I understood from your
message, then I recommend you do not focus on one particular package for
now. Dip your toes in the water, so to speak, and look at multiple
places where you could provide assistance. Although golang could be a
good language to learn, perhaps start with languages that you are
already familiar with. And if you've got something ready that could use
a sponsor, just ask; here for packages within the debian-hpc scope, or
perhaps on the debian-mentors list for things that would not fall within
that scope.

--
     w@uter.{be,co.za}
wouter@{grep.be,fosdem.org,debian.org}

I will have a Tin-Actinium-Potassium mixture, thanks.