Re: Condor Upload

Hi Tim,

please be so kind to always include the Debian HPC Team mailing list
in all your posts (its included in my answer).

Am Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 05:09:10PM -0600 schrieb Tim Theisen:
> One other thing that I forgot to mention. Parallel builds are no longer
> working (perhaps when I turned off cgroups). So, I am stuck with single
> threaded builds until I figure out what is wrong there.

I've added --no-parallel to d/rules which fixes this.

I did the following other changes:

  1. Added pristine-tar for the **latest** upstream release
     (your packaging was 10.0.0 - I injected 10.1.1)
  2. I removed dir msconfig/ completely from upstream source
     since it seems to be Windows only
  3. I had to tweak dh_install files since the upstream build
     does not install to debian/tmp/usr any more but rather to
     debian/tmp.  This is **not** **fully** **fixed** - some
     of the debian/*.install files do not find the files mentioned
     there.  Please fix this.
     Note: There is no need to specify debian/tmp in the
           beginning since this is default.

> Getting a clean Debian build is still very high priority for me.

Great.  This is really good to know.  However, my gut feeling says that
the window of opportunity to get condor into the next stable release is
nearly closed.  Every single day passing without an upload decreases
the chances for condor dramatically since its a complex package and
ftpmaster is processing complex packages later than others.  We should
target at the end of this week for an upload to have at least a slight
chance to meet next stable release.

Please read on for my comments to your first mail:

> On 11/22/22 17:06, Tim Theisen wrote:
> > Hi Andreas,
> >
> > I want to let you know what progress that I have made.
> >
> > I am very happy with the debian/copyright file.

That's very good any the most important precondition for beeing
accepted.

> > I was able to build and squash lintian errors in my Docker container.
> >
> > I have two lintian overrides.

Since the current package does not build for me I can't say anything
about lintian.  If it might speed up things we can revert back to
version 10.0.0.  Please note that it is important to included
pristine-tar information to work smoothly inside the HPC team.  This is
the most convenient chance to make sure we are working on the same
repackaged tarball.

> > The first override the json license since the offending
> > rapidjson/jsonchecker is not included. I don't think that we can edit
> > the license file to delete the offending license.
> >
> > The second override is for the exit_37 statically linked binary. This is
> > intentional, we want a small executable to check the functionality of
> > the container. Unfortunately, the override tag is not recognized even
> > though I copied it from the lintian output.

Sounds sensible.

> > I was surprised to see that my upload did not build in GitLab. I updated
> > my Docker container to the latest sid and found the cgroups were
> > upgraded to v2, so I disabled cgroups in the builds.

If you mean this failure[1] it is fixed by commit a7a268b8010[2]

> > Unfortunately, the installers is now installing executables in the wrong
> > place /bin vs /usr/bin. I don't know if that is because of the usrmerge
> > stuff or a cmake update. I am currently working on figuring that you.

I have no idea what might have caused this change and I started working
on this in commit 5cde13597e7[3] - but I did not finished it since I'm
not sure how the package layout should be done.

> > The shifting sands of sid seem to confound me whenever I get close.

I admit I have not observed anything similar in other packages of mine.
Maybe someone on the list might help here - otherwise
debian-mentors@lists.debian.org might help.

Kind regards
    Andreas.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/hpc-team/condor/-/jobs/3554730