Re: Joining the debian HPC team

On 7/9/22 14:10, Andreas Beckmann wrote:
Welcome on board Henning!

Yes, welcome!

On 09/07/2022 10.05, Henning Glawe wrote:
I am a bit confused about the distribution of packages among the debian-hpc,
debian-science and pkg-nvidia-devel teams:

That is distribution probably historically grown. IIRC the HPC Team is
"fairly new" (in Debian terms). My impression is that it is "a random
set of developers" individually maintaining "a random set of packages"
useful in an HPC context and not fitting elsewhere. That is not
neccessarily a bad thing given (the lack of manpower and) the broad
range of packages serving as low-level base for many user-targeted
applications (e.g. what's managed by debian-med, debian-science ...).
At least it builds a group of people that have some experience in the
HPC infrastructure area and makes it possible to reach out to them.
I don't think the HPC team can easily evolve into a group similar to
e.g. debian-med with some written down policy etc. (I'm not involved
with debian-med, so that's my impression from the outside, it might be
completely wrong.)

I agree with this description.
Henning, I tried to add you to the hpc-team salsa group, but it appears you don't have a salsa account. If you can get that sorted out, let us know so you can access the team git repository space.

thanks and regards
Afif

--
Afif Elghraoui | عفيف الغراوي