Re: haskell-hdf5 build failed on armel, i386 ,s390x and riscv64 due to test fail

Hi,
On Wed, Oct 05, 2022 at 09:24:02AM -0400, Scott Talbert wrote:
On Wed, 5 Oct 2022, picca wrote:

Upstream ghc doesn't support SMP on certain less common architectures.
I suspect most haskell upstream package maintainers don't test on
these architectures, and Debian is one of the last distributions to
support them, so it's likely why it is being seen here.

So what is the right way to fix this issue if a library need this -N option to be efficient on architecture which support it ?

is it possible in the cabal file to activate or deactivate this flag depending on the arch ?

Yes, it is possible to do it per-arch (but there doesn't seem to be a 1:1 match to Debian architectures, though). See this example:

https://salsa.debian.org/haskell-team/DHG_packages/-/blob/master/p/haskell-concurrent-supply/debian/patches/no-smp-arches

The reason I stopped doing it this way was because it fixed the problem for the release architectures, but not the other ones (e.g. alpha, etc.). Perhaps the condition should be opt-in, for the architectures that *do* support -N?

I am not familiar with GHC upstream's feature. But as a riscv porter, I can send the such MR or patch to fix the issue?:)

Scott

--
Regards,