Re: Adding copilot

On Sat, 25 Jun 2022, Ivan Perez wrote:

On 2022-06-19 12:26, Robert Greener wrote:
On Thu, 2022-06-16 at 00:35 +0000, Clint Adams wrote:
On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 01:07:18AM +0100, Ivan Perez wrote:
> I'm trying to first get things to run without any changes, and then
> I can
> add the modifications for copilot.

The package-plan (and, not unrelatedly, unstable) is in a broken
state
and in need of a considerable amount of labor.  The output you are
getting
is correct.

> [__1] rejecting: arbtt-0.11.1 (conflict: aeson==2.0.3.0, arbtt =>
> aeson>=0.10
> && <1.6)

Fundamentally, this needs to be resolved either by patching arbtt to
work with aeson 2.0.3.0.  It may be worthwhile to lobby Joachim to
put arbtt into Stackage so that this type of thing gets resolved
upstream before ever burdening us.

Right now, we can either patch arbtt ourselves and copy the relevant
patches into the package-plan, or, since arbtt is a leaf package,
mark it 'ignore' and kick the problem down the road.

I've just pushed the latter to salsa.  You should now see a different
error that will need to be resolved.

I'm maintaining arbtt on debian, a new release has come out that
supports the latest versions of aeson.

This needs some new dependencies that are not in debian. Once these
have been uploaded, I'll release the latest version of this.

I'll also ask Joachim re: stackage.

How is progress going?

I tried the docker image again and now it stops at:
```
cabal: Could not resolve dependencies:
[__0] trying: Agda-2.6.2.2 (user goal)
[__1] trying: base-4.13.0.0/installed-4.1... (dependency of Agda)
[__2] next goal: knob (user goal)
[__2] rejecting: knob-0.2 (conflict: base==4.13.0.0/installed-4.1..., knob =>
base>=4.15 && <5)
[__2] rejecting: knob-0.1.1, knob-0.1 (constraint from command line flag
requires (==0.2))
[__2] fail (backjumping, conflict set: base, knob)
After searching the rest of the dependency tree exhaustively, these were the
goals I've had most trouble fulfilling: base, Agda, knob
```

I've made the what4 team aware that they should address any issues that have to do with broadening version bounds for their dependencies as soon as they can. If any request on that side is stuck, let me know and I'll contact them.

The next release of Copilot (3.10) will come out on July 7. If we need to make any changes, including changes to allow installation with higher versions of what4, it would be really great to know soon. We only release once every 2 months.

Sorry Ivan - the package plan is still a work in progress after the LTS upgrade, plus there's a bunch of work going on after upgrading the GHC version and various packages. So it may be a little while before the dust is cleared up from all that.

However - once it is - I think it will be a lot easier to get copilot into Debian.

Scott