Re: RFS: haskell-tz and haskell-tzdata

Hey Robert,

On Sun, Jun 19, 2022 at 11:23AM, Robert Greener wrote:
> I've prepared arbtt for the latest release (as is needed otherwise
> it'll be removed due to incompatibility with the new lts). This depends
> on tz (and therefore tzdata) starting from the latest version. Could
> you merge these and upload please?
>
> There was some discussion on the ITP bugs about whether these would
> need to be updated in stable; however, this is not the case. I've
> patched haskell-tzdata so it just uses tzdata files.

Last time I tried to package this tzdata, my understanding was that the
database was hard-coded at compile time, and there was no way to read it
from disk. That's why we haven't packaged this for so long, because it
doesn't worth the maintenance burden.

If you need this package in Debian, I think we should ask upstream to
modify their code, and read the time zone database from disk.

--
Ilias