Re: removing src:haskell-text src:haskell-stm src:haskell-parsec src:haskell-mtl src:haskell-cabal

Hi Mattia,

On Sun, May 26, 2019 at 07:08PM, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> I noticed that the packages in the subject are now all somewhat bundled
> in ghc, and as such the current separate packages are uninstallable.

Correct.

> Is there a reason to keep them, or should they instead be removed?

It might be the case that a Haskell library needs a newer version of a
package (e.g., libghc-cabal-dev) than the one bundled with ghc. This has
happened in the past (stretch) where the ghc package provided
libghc-cabal-dev v1.24.0.0, but we also had to ship libghc-cabal-dev
v1.24.1.0 for cabal-install (see #843888).

That said, I don't see any difference between the aforementioned
packages and all other Haskell libraries that are bundled in ghc and
thus I don't think we should keep them around just in case they will be
needed in the future. If no one else objects, let's remove them, and
re-introduce them if/when they are needed again.

> I'll happily file removal bugs for them if I don't hear from you :)
> (I also don't know how you handle this on dhg_packages)

I can take care of the dhg_packages side of things.

Cheers,

--
Ilias