Re: limited access rights

Hi Jonas,

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 10:48AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Apparently this team distrusts some of its members to manage Salsa -
> including me.

When we migrated to Salsa[1], we opted for the same permissions used by
the "Debian" group, where every DD has the role "Maintainer" whereas
everyone else has the role "Developer". The same scheme has been used by
many other teams on salsa, as an example see the perl[2], input-method[3]
and DPMT[4] teams.

In addition to following what everyone else seemed to be doing, I
reviewed the various user permission levels of Gitlab[5] to make sure
that the role "Maintainer" was suitable for our use case.

If I recall correctly, the only difference with the "Owner" role was
that a "Maintainer" was not able to delete a project.

We may missed some important restrictions to the "Maintainer" role, but
please do not assume the above scheme was chosen in bad faith.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-haskell/2018/01/msg00004.html
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/groups/perl-team/modules/-/group_members
[3] https://salsa.debian.org/groups/input-method-team/-/group_members
[4] https://salsa.debian.org/groups/python-team/modules/-/group_members
[5] https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/permissions.html

> Someone in power please fix access rights for pandoc-sidenote.

I see that both haskell-monad-gen, and pandoc-sidenote projects are
"Private" as opposed to the rest of our projects which are "Public".
I now also realize that switching a project's visibility level is not
allowed to "Maintainers". I changed both to "Public".

> Or better: Let's grant everyone in the team equal powers, so that each
> of us can fix such issues ourselves, without bothering and waiting for
> others to nurse us.

I am OK with revisiting the current permissions scheme, and granting
every DD of our group the "Owner" role. Do we know of any other team
doing that?

Best,

--
Ilias