Re: What’s up with Haskell?

Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 12.07.2016, 13:46 +0200 schrieb Sven Bartscher:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 11:31:22 +0200
> Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I lost a bit of oversight. Where are we right now?
> >
> > Has all of LTS-6 migrated to testing?
>
> I still we are still waiting for a testing migration, which is blocked
> by reverse dependencies of openglraw that aren't removed yet. I started
> filing bugs about them, but problems in my mailer prevented me from
> filing all of them.

according to #debian-haskell, testing migration was just done, after
three removal hints by pichu:

<pochu> # haskell transition
<pochu> remove haskell-gloss-rendering/1.10.1.1-1 haskell-gloss/1.10.1.1-1 gitit/0.12.1-2
<pochu> and things migrated to testing

> > Should we update to LTS-6.7, to get some newer packages in?
> >
> > Is it worth starting to stage GHC-6 and LTS-7 (based on nightly) on a
> > branch in the repository?
>
> You probably mean GHC-8, right?

Yes. :-)

> I still don't have comprehensive test about my changes to
> haskell-devscripts and dh-haskell still needs to be updated to handle
> the new ABIs correctly.

Ok

> Another problem is that updating GHC-8 with the new haskell-devscripts
> causes a one-time bootstrapping problem, as GHC-8 needs the
> haskell-devscripts-nocolour >= 0.10.3 to handle the ABIs correctly, but
> the new version of haskell-devscripts needs GHC-8 as earlier versions
> of ghc-pkg aren't able to retrieve the abi field, like
> haskell-devscripts requires it.

Hmm. Any chance to make haskell-devscripts fall back to parsing the
package id, to avoid such problems.

> We can prevent this by shipping the next version of GHC with it's own
> version of dh_haskell_provides again and making it depend on
> haskell-devscripts-nocolour once we have GHC-8 in unstable. That
> shouldn't be hard, but still needs to be done.

Might work, but then we’d have to do that as well for backports? And so
on?

Oh, that reminds me of another reason why haskell-devscripts depends on
ghc (and not the other way around):

When upload, say, ghc-8 to experimental, we want to upload all Haskell
packages to experimental.  To ensure that they are built with ghc, what
we did previously, was to bump the dependency of haskell-devscripts on
ghc to ghc (>= 8.0), and then the individual packages only get their
haskell-devscripts build-dependency bumped.

Nevermind, we can still do the same in haskell-devscripts, as before.

But can we find a better name than -nocolour? There might be other
packages that we might want haskell-devscripts to depend on (not fully
realistic, but an example: hoogle). Maybe haskell-devscripts-files?
haskell-devscripts-stage1? haskell-devscripts-common? haskell-
devscripts-bootstrap?

Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
Debian Developer
  nomeata@debian.org • https://people.debian.org/~nomeata