Re: What’s up with Haskell?

On Tue, 12 Jul 2016 11:31:22 +0200
Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I lost a bit of oversight. Where are we right now?
>
> Has all of LTS-6 migrated to testing?

I still we are still waiting for a testing migration, which is blocked
by reverse dependencies of openglraw that aren't removed yet. I started
filing bugs about them, but problems in my mailer prevented me from
filing all of them.

> Should we update to LTS-6.7, to get some newer packages in?
>
> Is it worth starting to stage GHC-6 and LTS-7 (based on nightly) on a
> branch in the repository?

You probably mean GHC-8, right?

I still don't have comprehensive test about my changes to
haskell-devscripts and dh-haskell still needs to be updated to handle
the new ABIs correctly.

Another problem is that updating GHC-8 with the new haskell-devscripts
causes a one-time bootstrapping problem, as GHC-8 needs the
haskell-devscripts-nocolour >= 0.10.3 to handle the ABIs correctly, but
the new version of haskell-devscripts needs GHC-8 as earlier versions
of ghc-pkg aren't able to retrieve the abi field, like
haskell-devscripts requires it.

We can prevent this by shipping the next version of GHC with it's own
version of dh_haskell_provides again and making it depend on
haskell-devscripts-nocolour once we have GHC-8 in unstable. That
shouldn't be hard, but still needs to be done.

Regards
Sven