The current PIC/PIE patches for ghc 8.0

Hi all,

As you may be aware, I am a Debian user that does a little upstream
GHC development. Like many of you I recently ran into the PIC/PIE
problem when using Debian's GCC versions 6.2.0-7 and later.

As a result of this I've been looking at preparing the patches that
are currently in the Debian package to work around this issue. I
linked those twp patches here:

    https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/12759#comment:4

During my testing of these two patches against GHC git HEAD, I found
that with these patches, over 100 of the ~ 5400 tests in the GHC test
suite were failing, specifically tests related to template haskell.

I have however found another (better) solution to this problem (provided
by one of the other GHC devs). The solution is to configure GHC with:

    ./configure \
        CONF_CC_OPTS_STAGE2=-fno-PIE \
        CONF_GCC_LINKER_OPTS_STAGE2=-no-pie \
        CONF_LD_LINKER_OPTS_STAGE2=-no-pie \
        ${other_config_options}

Configured like this (and without the patches currently in the Debian
tree), GHC passes all tests.

I recommend that the debian-haskell maintainers drop the two PIC/PIE
patches and instead update their build system as suggested here.

Cheers,
Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
http://www.mega-nerd.com/