Re: Stackage LTS 6.0, GHC-8.0, the freeze

Hi,

Am Montag, den 23.05.2016, 10:50 +0200 schrieb Iustin Pop:
> > A: We track Stackge Nightly and GHC-8 only in our git repository,
>
> Not even in experimental? I fear this is a too conservative plan,
> hiding problems for a longer time (as you say below).

Experimental is an option, yes. As long as we make sure we don’t
accidentally upload to unstable (happened regularly in the past). Maybe
we can ask d-release to block uploads to unstable (they can do that).

> >  B: We track Stackage Nightly and GHC-8 in unstable. This way, we know
> >     about arch-specific problems earlier, but unstable is broken (for a
> >     long time, I fear) and we cannot upload fixes meant for testing.
> What kind of fixes-for-testing are you thinking about?

Security issues, RC bugs related to embedded JS code, serious problems
with the libraries that can be fixed with a minor version bump.

> And what kind of
> "unstable-is-broken" breakage are you expecting?

Uploading a package when not all its reverse build dependencies support
that version yet. The package-plan may warn about such problem, but is
not guaranteed to find them all.

Joachim “nomeata” Breitner
Debian Developer
  nomeata@debian.org • https://people.debian.org/~nomeata