Re: Shall we clean out before 7.10?

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 12.07.2015, 16:10 +0200 schrieb Sven Bartscher:
> > > recently, I brought up the idea of removing a bunch of cruft that is
> > > neither a dependency of something that we want for sure (a “key”
> > > package) nor in Stackage (presumably easy to maintain).
> > >
> > > With the current transition (almost) done, maybe that should be the
> > > next thing to tackle. I expect that doing that now will make the 7.10
> > > transition quicker, as there are simply fewer not-well-maintained
> > > packages that can break.
> >
> > Shouldn’t we wait until there is a Stackage LTS with GHC 7.10, before
> > we switch to GHC 7.10? I guess if we switch before Stackage, we will
> > get a lot of packages ahead.
> >
> > Since, we don’t know when Stackage will upgrade (or does someone?),
> > I guess it would be good to use the time until then to clean up.

that’s precisely what I had in mind.

But note that Stackage (non-LTS) is already on 7.10, and LTS-3 will
simply be a snapshot of that, so we could simply upgrade to some
stackage nightly while putting 7.10 to unstable, and then follow the
nightlies until LTS-3.0 is out.

But let’s do the removals first, then.