Re: [Pkg-haskell-commits] darcs: haskell-exceptions: New upsteam release

Hi,

Am Montag, den 20.04.2015, 08:05 +0300 schrieb Dmitry Bogatov:
> Sorry, I again forgot it. Actually, I did not meant to upload
> new `exceptions' right now. Currently `experimental` in quite
> strange state, so I need to rebuild load of packages
> locally to make `aptitude` happy. Whenever I encounter
> package, that is upgradable and works with for my subset of packages,
> I upgrade, build and install it.
>
> But it is pity, if someone would need to upgrade it again.
> So I push changes. Unfortunately, I see no way indicate
> such intentions. According to wiki,
>
> UNRELEASED means "I still work on packaging"
> experimental means "DD, please upload it"
>
> My intentions are "It is perfectly buildable, but may break
> other dependencies. For future."

Right, so UNRELEASED might have been better But even that has problems:
What if it is at version 1.2, you push 1.3 "for the future", although it
is incompatible with the reast. Now we need to apply a fix to 1.2 – what
should we do?

Therefore the policy:
version in the archive ≤ version in the repo ≤ version in the package plan

> About package-plan. I am actually have problems with it.
>
> Just today I managed to construct docker image of debian,
> add experimental and sid repositories, install all perl libraries
> and got strange result:
>
> without any my changes, ./test-packages.pl
>
> 1. complains loudly and a lot about:
>
> 	E: read, still have 733 to read but none left
> 	grep-aptavail: apt-cache dumpavail:2: expected a colon.

Weird, never seen that. Looks like a problem with apt. Did you run
apt-get update? Do you have apt-src lines in your sources.list?

> 2. master fails:
>
> 	cabal: Could not resolve dependencies:
> [..]
>   	  trying: binary-0.7.1.0/installed-f86... (dependency of
> 	JuicyPixels-3.1.7.1)
[..]

> If you can explain me, what I do wrong, it would greatly
> improve my usefulness.

master reflects sid; so if you have experimental sources in your apt
config, this will not work unfortunately.

I believe Sven has thought of a way of making the package-plan
independent from the actually installed packages, but he has not yet
pushed a patch for it.