Re: knowing what to do

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 01.08.2015, 20:02 +0200 schrieb Sven Bartscher:
> Anyway, I often have the problem, tat I don’t know, when to do what.
> That way I fell like some medium-sized transitions pass by without
> me doing anything. Does anyone have an idea what I could do about
> that?

yes, I get that impression as well, although from a different POV: I
plan a transition in the package plan, and then I start working on the
packages. But since you need the dependencies built before building a
package, I have an advantage: On my machine, I have the newly built
packages; others have to wait for them to reach the archive.

In the end, I (or, in the current instance, Clint) do the bulk of the
work, which is not really sustainable.

I then try to hand out interesting tasks on the mailing list, e.g. when
I stumble on a non-trivially upgradeable package, but I find that these
end up unheared.

When you do not have the impression that someone else is actively
working on a transition, then it is usually safe to “something”. Here
are a few things that are regularly useful:

 * Check if there is a new minor LTS release and update the package
plan.
 * Check the output of the package plan and see if there are some left
-over TODOs, i.e. upgraded or new packages. haskell-torrent is an
example that has been there for a while.
 * Check https://people.debian.org/~nomeata/binNMUs-haskell.txt and
prod me if there are binNMUs waiting for more than a day.
 * Check https://people.debian.org/~nomeata/binNMUs-haskell.txt and
investigate build failures mentioned there.
 * Improve the tooling for our repositories.

I hope that we can soon have a simple “rebuild everything¹” script in
our repo. This would make it possible to detect build failures in
reverse dependencies even before we upload anything to the archive, and
it would also allow people to work on the packaging even if the archive
is broken (due to uploadings being processed, binNMUs missing, NEW
packages missing).

¹ To be more precise: A script that given a bunch of directories,
creates sources from them, and then builds them, in a clean environment
(sbuild), in the right order (e.g. using dose-builddepcheck to see what
can be built now), not using any packages from the archive that are
built from these sources (this might be tricky). It should probably be
spilt into one non-DHG-specific tool that expects source packages, and
a wrapper that creates the .dsc’s and passes them on.