Re: Moving the package-plan into DHG_packages

> Am 31.07.2015 um 23:50 schrieb Joachim Breitner <nomeata@debian.org>:
>
> I would defer that. The packages repo is still not yet fully used, some
> people seem to be worried that the repo layout is not yet the right one
> (i.e. due to non-debcheckout-compatibility). OTOH, the package-plan is
> somewhat well established and running smoothly, jenkins jobs are set up
> etc.
>
> So I would suggest to first get the packages repo in a shape that we
> are happy with (e.g. we are missing quite a bit of tooling) and work
> with it for a while, until we are sure things stay as they are.

Those are good points.

> Also it is not true that the package-plan is updated together with the
> packages. Clint recently updated quite a few packages in the package
> plan, but only one package in the packages repo so far (hint hint :-)).

When someone upgrades packages plan it’s likely that (s)he also
upgrades the packages shortly after, so I’m worried that I’m just doing
stuff, someone else is already doing.

My first idea to solve that problem was some kind of tool, that keeps
track of the packages that need to be upgraded and people can
mark which packages they are currently working on.

Then again I think that, given how easy upgrading a one Haskell
package normally is, that keeping that list up-to-date just produces
more work. It also probably won’t be as useful, if the tool im planning
is as useful as I hope.

Anyway, I often have the problem, tat I don’t know, when to do what.
That way I fell like some medium-sized transitions pass by without
me doing anything. Does anyone have an idea what I could do about
that?

> Your tool idea is of course great! But it does not require the two
> repos to be in the same repository.
>
> If you really want to track the package plan in the packages repo, then
> a git submodule might be a good first step.

I rethought this and think a submodule won’t be necessary. I will just
make the tool work with the packages and the package-plan as two
separate repositories.

Regards
Sven