Re: Help needed with lens testsuite

Hi,

first of all, thank for taking on the various build failures on exotic
architectures! Greatly appreciated!

Am Samstag, den 09.05.2015, 21:43 +0100 schrieb Colin Watson:
> I fixed some haskell-lens bugs that were unnecessarily preventing the
> testsuite from running, but now it explodes excitingly on various
> architectures, with problems loading the "primitive" library in
> doctests:
>
>   https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=haskell-lens
>
> This is a bit beyond my knowledge, and I'm reluctant to simply disable
> the tests again in case this points to a deeper problem.  Does anyone
> know what's going on here?

I’ve seen this a few times now. doctest is a nasty beast, as it uses the
GHC API, i.e. uses the compiler as a library. And this means that
dynamic linking is used, which works fine on amd64, but probably not
everywhere.

I’m surprised that it even fails on i386, though.

I don’t think it is i386-specific, but I don’t really have more to say.
I guess we need to escalate that to those that know more about the RTS
and the linking.

There is https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/3720, but I’m not sure
how related that is, and in either case its not helpful.