Re: cabal-debian-4.23.1

Dear Dimitry,

please keep such questions on the mailing list. I’m neither the only one
the group that can answer them, nor the only one that might want to know
the answers.

Am Sonntag, den 15.03.2015, 14:20 +0300 schrieb Dmitry Bogatov:
> > according to the package plan, we cannot upgrade network without
> > upgrading (at least) cabal-install, happstack-server, hslogger, HTTP and
> > websockets:
> > http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-haskell/package-plan.git/commit/?h=ghc-7.8&id=ddea60333fec7ab3fa96f4ff3999da92e8b563d1
>
> I upgraded HTTP (review is welcome) and touched cabal-install.
>
> cabal-install-1.22* needs cabal-1.22*, so I upgraded cabal.
>
> But I have some doubts:
>
> - ghc provides libghc-cabal-dev-1.18, will not it cause problems?

It sometimes causes confusion, but there is not much we can do about it,
as we definitely want the new cabal-install versions.

> - in debian/copyright files you are mentioned as copyright holder of
>   debian/* with year 1914(huh?). Is it package special, or I can replace
>   it with standard stanza('by contributors, mentioned in
>   debian/changelog')?

No, you can replace it, or leave it. The standard stanza is relatively
new.

> - license is labeled as `cabal license`, when it is actually is
>   BSD-3-clause. Am I missing something, or `cabal license` label really
>   defeats purpose of dep5?

The latter. But it is less work to simply write "foo license" than
manually determining the license. If you want to do that, that’s of
course good and welcome; I personally didn’t bother. At least not until
DEP5 is actually used for a relevant purpose.