Re: Lintian Warnings

Hi,

Am Sonntag, den 30.11.2014, 15:08 +0100 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard:
> Sorry - I was unaware of such articulated policy for this team.

since when do we have articulated policy :-)

> If simply a personal opinion of yours, then I can add that some consider
> it irrelevant generally to file ITP bugreports.

It’s a personal opinion, but also observed practice:

$ grep -i initial */changelog|wc -l
744
$ grep -i initial */changelog|grep -i closes|wc -l
195

> Personally I find it relevant to file ITP bugreports for any and all
> packages, also Perl packages which I guess are similarly "irrelevant" to
> report about as Haskell libraries.  I find that doing so signals
> activity and invites comments earliest possible - before involving
> ftpmaster.  Duplicated work is IMO ont the only reason for ITP bugs -
> also comments on e.g. how package descriptions are phrased and whether
> it might make sense to mention related similar functionality available
> elsewhere in Debian, or perhaps point out a risk of potential licensing
> clash.  In short, I find that ITP bugreports is a great way for a single
> package to "touch base" with the general Debian development community.

I don’t disagree on the benefits, and everyone who wants to do it that
way is welcome to do so. For me, the extra work would be slightly
annoying, so I prefer not to do it, and also hope that everyone is fine
with that.

It would be better if reportbug would immediatelly tell me the version
number, so that there is no latency in the process :-)